Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Ratatat

So, I went to this show the other night with a buddy of mine, to see a band called The Faint. He is from Omaha, and went to high school with a bunch of them. Anyway, the opening band was called Ratatat. They were fuckin insane! It's 3 guys: one guitar, one bass, one keyboard. They sample beats for percussion. It is all instrumental, but it fucking rocks... especially live. They are touring the West Coast right now and then are off to Europe for a few months. However, they indicate they will be doing a US Tour in the spring. I'll keep you updated.

In the mean time, check out their website, and their myspace page for a sample of their stuff. Or just go get one of their albums online. It won't disappoint.

A review of their new album "Classics":

Classics remains resolutely instrumental, but the band has introduced a wealth of new sounds, from acoustic and slide guitar to sleigh bells and cello. Their vastly improved production and writing makes this record a refinement of their art. "Ratatat lay squealing metal harmonies over choppy Neptunes-style dance thumps, then break into pastoral waves of keyboard tone, riding dub tempos and hip-hop struts. They're crotch-pumping arena pimps and introverted minimalists..." - Blender.

By the way, The Faint is really good as well. However, I suggest seeing them live before buying an album. The show here in San Fran was only $15... one of the best purchases I've made in a while.

4 Comments:

Blogger B-Qbd said...

Check out "Seventeen Years" on myspace...
Be sure to crank it all the way (up to 11 if your amp goes that far) before starting the song!!!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger James Harris said...

The Faint's album Wet From Birth is pretty good. If I remember correctly there's a great track on their called something like Sexual or So Sexual. It's a great rock dance number.

Ratatat sounds intriguing. I like Seventeen Years. Have you purchased an album? If so send it my way, I'd love to hear more. Nice find.

8:43 AM  
Blogger B-Qbd said...

I have their self-titled album. I'm also going to get Classics in the near future. My buddy gave me Wet From Birth, and also Danse Macabre. I'll send them all to you.

Any other takers??

12:25 PM  
Blogger James Harris said...

sweet action!

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home