Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Music, Volume IIX

Animal Collective // Strawberry Jam
Yes that's right Strawberry-mother-fucking-Jam. When I learned the name of one of my favorite band's newest album I peed myself a little. As most of you know (some of you lived there) the house I lived in in college was lovingly refered to as Strawberry Jam, or for short, simply, The Jam. Anyway, this is Animal Collective's most accessible release, and in my opinion, is a pop masterpiece. It is at once ambitious, sprawling, creepy, happy, catchy, challenging, calming, and disturbing which all adds up to a distinct animal collective sound. When an album feels important on it's first listen, when it feels like the future just got a little closer and a little further away at the same time, when you listen and it changes your perception of other works, that's when I really fall in love with art. This album does that. Battles' Mirrored did that most recently, so did TV on the Radio's Return to Cookie Mountain. With all that being said I fully expect most of you to hate this album. McCord describes it as "that creepy hippy clown music." Whatever. Mike, this is the album I was telling you about at the Tribe game the other night.

stand out tracks:
peacebone
fireworks
winter wonderland

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Altvater said...

Great album, Jim! I recommend listening to it when you have time to hear it from beginning to end. I truly enjoyed it.

10:42 PM  
Blogger B-Qbd said...

I'm wondering if they determined the name of the album in the same way that the Jam was named...

Animal Collective at Union Street: "Okay, the next thing we see will be the name of our album"
Old Hag (waitress): "Here's your condiment dispenser... oops!"

3:08 PM  
Blogger James Harris said...

Mike,
Glad you liked it. I agree that it's best when consumed whole.

Ben,
Haha, yeah, and then one of the band members left the table to take a piss in the kitchen's ice chest.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home